You might remember when I made my first peasant top that I was not sold on it straight away. However, every time I wear it I get compliments, and the top has started to grow on me. Enough so that I decided that this Style Arc pattern was worthy of my Oscar de la Renta black silk. One thing I didn’t like about the pattern the first time around was the excess fabric at the side seams, so I re-drafted them. I measured in 2 inches at the waist and then tapered from the armysce and the hem to draw the new side seam.
I used ribbon for the neck-tie instead of the self fabric tie called for in the pattern.
Due to the embossed nature of the fabric, I used silk organza to interface the slit facing instead of fuseable. The construction of the opening was somewhat confusing. Not that they were wrong, just sparse. If I was a new sewist I would have been like “huh?” As it was, I figured it out and it turned out just fine. As I, and many more in blog-land have mentioned, Style Arc construction directions are, well, they are limited. Much like Burda Style patterns.
I also decided not to put the elastic in the sleeves, but used a ruffle trim instead. All I did was hem the sleeve and then stitched on the trim.
I love how the trim has the same ribbon as the ribbon I used for the tie. I found the trim at JoAnn’s.
Overall, I am happy with how this turned out. I think I will get a lot of use out of it. It will look great with a black wool skirt, tights and boots.
Next up, an outfit for my niece’s wedding on January 12th. I need something warm, as it is in an old fruit cold storage building and comfortable, as I am the photographer…..I have a few ideas. I think I will make this Vogue 8837 skirt.
And McCall’s 6399 top.
Ready, set, go!